Monday, July 2, 2007

There are not many more skulls to draw. Three years ago when I first embarked on this project, the prospect of drawing 80 sets of skulls seemed like a never-ending task, but the end is near! I will still have to edit the skulls, once the drawings have been run past a mammal skull expert. He'll point out things that I don't know, like that's a crack in the cranium, not a suture, etc.

Here we have a squirrel, Sciurus carolinensis. The Eastern Grey Squirrel, probably the squirrel that you're most likely to picture when thinking about squirrels. I was bitten by a squirrel once, when I was about 5 or 6. I was feeding a squirrel peanuts, and Chomp. My parents rushed me to the hospital, no doubt fraught with worry about the possibility of rabies. Oblivious to these concerns, I remember marveling at the purple antiseptic that dyed my finger. I did not have rabies.

No comments: