Thursday, July 12, 2007

























I finished a set of plankton-related worksheets and signs, complete with a set of plankton icons for one of the Birch Aquarium's educational programs. Consequently, the theme of Custom Brushes Experiment 2 is Plankton. Zooplankton, to be more specific, as opposed to the photosynthesizing sort. I pulled up some older drawings of plankton from my image library. It was hard to resist going to town with the larval squid.

At first I had a photo background, featuring some sea grass sprayed over wet rocks, with the ocean and sky. It soon proved to be to visually confusing, so I replaced that with solid teal. At that point, I had the white jellies, gray larval squid and black icons. As much as I like limited palettes, it really needed a splash of color, so in went the red jelly.

I must say, the making of images for fun's sake is certainly fun! It's been a long time since I've experimented in art, just to see what happens.

No comments: